willows. The great meandering avenues reflect the original plan and the Gully also
survives. Colourful flower beds and lawns reflected the taste of the boom period of
The gardens form a wonderful transition between the city and East Melbourne. The
park is full of mature trees, formal colourful gardens a children's playground,
sculptures, Cooks Cottage, The Conservatorium, Model Tudor Village and The
Access is gained from Lansdowne St, Clarendon St, and Wellington Pde with best
access from the crossover at the intersection of Lansdowne St. and Wellington Pde.
Two, two hour dedicated parking spaces are provided in Lansdowne St and an
accessible unisex toilet is available. The gardens encompass a south facing valley
falling steadily and quite steeply from Lansdowne and Clarendon Sts and from
Albert St to Wellington Pde. The west side of the park has been upgraded with
smooth bitumen paths and large gutters have been replaced with attractive brick
paved, spoon drains, which do not hinder easy access onto the lawns.
PARKS & GARDENS
Access is up a short bitumen pathway to the Model Tudor Village, circa 1948, a
gift from a grateful 77 year old, British immigrant pensioner, Edgar Wilson, who
created the cement and paint village to thank Melbourne's generosity in sending
food to Britain during WWII.
The Pavilion Restaurant is up a driveway where a short grade leads up to the
outdoor seating area, then there is a small step into the restaurant. Access into the
Conservatorium is flat at the rear past a wonderful waterfall/statue. The
Conservatorium is a magnificent place to visit at most times of the year with
flowers in bloom, particularly around Spring. Cooks Cottage (often known as
Captain Cooks Cottage) was the Captain's parents home, purchased in Great Ayton,
England and transported to Victoria in 1933. There is access through a ticket office
and into the small and narrow entry. A motorised wheelchair may have difficulty.
You can also wander through the small herb garden at the rear.
Fitzroy Gardens has plenty of wonderful sculpture, The Grey Street Fountain was
erected in 1863 and consists of three finely carved tiers mounted on top of artificial
rockeries set in an informal lake with a rockery border. Diana and the Hounds,
circa 1940, was cast in bronze by the founder of the Sculptors' Society of Victoria,
Bowles, it replaced an 1860's copy of a Roman sculpture of Diana, Goddess of
Mood and Contemplation. The dolphin sculpture is visited across the firm grass to a