leads into the rear church, it is best to call ahead when attending, particularly if
you would like to sit near the altar. The church hall and offices occupy space in
the building behind the church. An accessible toilet is available during church
functions. Access is also available to the Garden Plaza Cafe which overlooks a
peaceful grassy area with soothing fountain.
The Scots' Church
140 154 Collins St, The Scots' Church (9650 9903).
Victoria's first Presbyterian church was founded in 1838 and the original Scot's
CHURCHES & CA
church built in 1841. The decorated Protestant Gothic Revival building is
made from Barrabool freestone and cream Kakanul stone from New Zealand for
the dressings . While the interior is austerely decorated, important features
include the basalt aisle columns, rich timber fittings and stained glass. Dame
Nellie Melba is reported to have sung in the church's choir. Brochures about the
churches history and the stained glass windows are available.
Formal steps lead from Collins St but there is ramped access at the rear from
Russell St. Off Russell St the Church Hall and Office entry is up six steps. Call in
advance and access will be made available.
St Paul's Anglican Cathedral
22 40 Swanston St, St Pauls Anglican Cathedral (9650 3791).
Dominates the corner of Flinders and Swanston St, overlooking the Yarra River
and Flinders St Station. The site was used as a market until a small parish
church was built in 1848. In 1880 the foundation stone for St Paul's was laid
and the cathedral was consecrated in 1891. It is considered architecturally
significant as a masterpiece of Gothic Revival, but was not completed until
1931 when the spires, constructed in Pyrmont (Sydney) sandstone, were
added. The tallest spire tops 96m. The exterior is Victorian Barrabool sandstone
but it is the interior columns which are remarkable, made from a creamy Waurn
Ponds limestone, they are banded with Malmsbury bluestone giving a ringed
candy effect. The floor is rich granite and alabaster and patterned tiles.
The Cathedral houses what is reputedly the largest and best surviving example
of an English Romantic pipe organ designed by T C Lewis, one of the greatest
organ builders in the second half of the nineteenth century. Installed in 1891,
the organ is particularly significant because its tonal characteristics remain
substantially intact and its case is constructed from superb Tasmanian